The new conferences were announced last week with some big changes coming to the boys high school league next spring. Here are the bullet points of the new changes:
- D-I is now an equally balanced, 16 team, 4 conference division with 4 teams in each conference which creates an equal amount of conference games (7) for each team.
- Corner Canyon will be inserted immediately into D-I and is the only new team in D-I.
- A new D-II AA division was formed.
- Bonneville and Weber were moved to D-II. Timpanogos was moved to D-II AA.
- Roy is now a full varsity team and will compete in the Davis conference in D-II.
- Red Rocks in St. George has split into two teams with Desert Hills moving to D-II and Dixie moving to D-II AA.
- Westlake will join the fun in 2014 and be put into D-II AA in their first year rather than the old rule of playing JV for a year.
The playoffs will be slightly different in D-II, but in D-I, they remain a 16 team playoff with super-conference standings used for seeding. The D-II playoffs will have a play-in game between the top two D-II AA and the bottom two D-II No. 8 seed team. The D-II AA team with the best record will play the D-II No. 8 seed with the worst record.
Additional Notes from the ULA:
The ULA will adopt the below format for the next three seasons;
1. Teams must play every team in their conference and their cross conference prior to the finish of the season.
a. NOTE – Cross conference parings and playoff pairings have already been approved until the 2015-16 season.
b. NOTE – The council will publish the conference and cross conference schedules each fall.
2. Teams will be seeded each year based on their combined conference and cross conference win/loss record.
3. No change to the post season awards process (All Conference and All State). It will still be based on your individual conference and not your combined conference and cross conference.
4. Conferences and Divisions can be rebalanced each year, but no major alignment changes till the 2015-16 Season.
a. For example if a D-II team wants to move up or a D-I team wants to move down, the conferences can be rebalanced, but we will maintain the same 2 division, 4 conference format with the establish cross conference in season and post season pairings.
Conference Pairings for 2014
Division I – North/Salt Lake, Sandy/South
Division II – North/Davis, Salt Lake/South
New Division Alignments
|D-I North||D-I Salt Lake||D-I Sandy||D-I South|
|Viewmont||Park City||Juan Diego||Spanish Fork|
|D-II North||D-II Davis||D-II Salt Lake||D-II South|
|Box Elder||Bonneville||Copper Hills||American Fork|
|Weber||Woods Cross||West Jordan||Timpview|