The Stories That Matter Most To The Utah Lacrosse Community

Alta Uses Strong Defense in Fourth to Beat Park City

Tanner Brown - Alta Hawks
Tanner Brown
The Alta Hawks made their way to Quinn’s Junction on Friday afternoon for a cross-conference showdown with the Park City Miners. The game was even until the fourth quarter where the Alta defense clamped down, provided opportunities for the offense and ultimately stealing a 13-10 win.
Alta scored first when Harrison Waddoups scored on a great feed from Ryan Trudo. Park City went a 3 goal run from 8:10 to 6:24, taking the early advantage. The Miners were able to simply beat their defenders, finding good looks at the cage. The run started by Max Zilvitis who scored on an assist by Kolton Atkinson. Christian Pompoco went to coast-to-coast for the Miners second goal. Pompoco added the third Miner goal when he popped up from the crease to the middle of the field, caught the pass, turn and shot for the goal. The Miners looked as if they were going to run away with this one, but after an Alta timeout on their next possession, Hunter Hansen made a great cut, caught the pass from Tanner Brown, shot and scored to make the score 3-2 for Park City. Alta tied the game 4 minutes later when Brown had a step-down shot after a good Alta possession.
The second quarter saw more great play from both sides. Park City took the lead when Chad Merrick scored at the 9:10 mark. Alta went on a 3 goal run that was started by Brown at the 3:25 mark. A minute later, Waddoups had a top-right rip from a 45 degree angle on the wing. Chase Oviatt won the ensuing face-off, took the ball down the field on a fast break and found Connor Pyle on the crease who tip-toed the line and scored to give Alta a 6-4 lead with 2:11 remaining in the half. Park City answered on their next possession when Merrick scored followed by Alexander Boyle a minute later to tie the game at 6. Alta was eager to get one more goal and almost did as time expired when Pyle found himself wide open on the crease but Park City Goalie Colton Jamison made a huge save to keep the game tied at halftime.
In the second half, Alta and Park City traded 3 goals each to make the score 9-9 with 11:18 remaining in the game. Both offenses were able to get good looks at the goal but the defenses from both teams was up to the task as well in an entertaining game. During an Alta timeout, the Alta coaches expressed the need for the defense to get more physical and that’s what they did which shut down the Park City attack. Alta scored 4 straight goals to take a commanding 13-9 lead with 4:39 left to play. Park City would pull one back at the 2:33 mark when Merrick ran past the Alta defense on a clear but it was too late for a Miner comeback, making the final score 13-10 for the Hawks.
“We’ve been in close games before and we’ve taught our guys to play 48 minutes,” said Alta Head Coach Mark Davis. “We turned it on in the end and pulled out the win.”
Alta was led by Brown who had 4 goals. Waddoups finished with 3 goals and 1 assist. Oviatt and Plye had 2 goals and 2 assists each. Park City was led by Merrick who had 3 goals. Boyle had 2 goals and an assist and Atkinson had 1 goal and 3 assists.
“We played a team game today,” said Davis. “We moved the ball around well and were able to find the open guys.”
Alta Goalie Jordan Taylor played the first quarter and had 1 save. Grant Archer played 3 quarters and had 5 saves. Jamison had 11 saves for Park City. Face-offs were even with Park City winning 15 of 28.
Alta has completed their cross-conference schedule and finished at 6-2. They will face Davis on Wednesday. Park City plays Lone Peak tonight, Judge on Wednesday and Waterford on Saturday.

Related Posts