The Stories That Matter Most To The Utah Lacrosse Community

Bengals Move On to Class A Semifinals, Defeating Knights

On a cold, rainy afternoon at Hillcrest High School, the Brighton Bengals squared off against the Lone Peak Knights. Despite the weather, both teams fought hard and played well. After being down early in the game, the Bengals took control in the second quarter and eventually the 15 to 9 win.
It took only 10 seconds before fans were able to witness the first goal of the game. Brighton midfielder Bobby Paulson scored quick to give the Bengals the early lead. Lone Peak midfielder Ben Thornhill tied it up within the next couple minutes. Thornhill later gave the Knights the lead after picking up a ground ball near the sideline, burning through four defenders to shoot one-on-one with the goalie.
With three-and-a-half minutes left, Lone Peak attackman Wyatt Holbrook scored off a spin move with his toes on the crease. Bengal midfielder Kaden Garden answered back, picking a rebound off the goalie’s helmet and quick-sticking the ball in. Nic Williams sealed the quarter with a wrap around goal for Lone Peak.
Being down two goals only motivated the Bengals to tighten their shooting in the second quarter. Brighton scored four goals in the first three minutes, giving them the 6-4 lead. Lone Peak midfielder Cameron Ure broke the streak with a goal of his own, but by the end of the half the Bengals and stretched their lead to 9-6.
“Patience,” commented Brighton Head Coach Brandon Horoba, discussing what had changed from the first to the second quarter. “We started playing patient on offense and not just looking to shoot every time we have the ball. That was the big difference.”
With the third quarter under way, the Knights opened the scoring with a goal by midfielder Nate Finlayson, assisted by attackman Josh Stout. Several minutes passed without a goal. Brighton attackman Hunter Albert broke the silence with two consecutive goals. the second came when he faked a pass, fooling his defender and opening him a perfect shooting lane. Coming off the faceoff, Knight LSM Josh Hall scored a sweet goal. However, in the last couple minutes Brighton scored another two goals, putting them up 13-8.
Early in the final quarter, Bengal midfielder Colby Ebert picked up what was surely the play of the game. After a failed shot, Ebert gracefully flicked the ball up and over the Lone Peak goalie, bringing fans to their feet. The quarter continued fairly quietly, up until the final minute. In a last effort, Lone Peak was able to score was seemed to be the final goal of the game. Surprisingly, however, in the final moments Brighton added one final goal to their total, claiming the 15-9 win over the Knights.
“It was a slow start for us,” continued Horoba, “but the last three quarters we really picked it up and played really well all over the field. Our faceoff guy, Kimball Reece stood out to me today. He did really well out there and helped gain possession after possession for us.”
The Bengals will continue on to the Boys Class A semifinal round to take on No. 2 seeded Corner Canyon. The game will be held on Wednesday May 13 at Judge High School in Salt Lake City.

1 comment
Related Posts