The Stories That Matter Most To The Utah Lacrosse Community

Brad Anderson Lifts Jordan Over Viewmont in Overtime

Jordan LacrosseOn a chilly afternoon, Viewmont came down to play Jordan, riding a high from beating Davis last game while Jordan was looking to rebound from the loss at Spanish Fork with their first home game of the season.
The game started off with multiple changes of possessions with both teams causing multiple turnovers back and forth until Jordan took the first lead of the game when Brad Anderson dodged from the top of the box and scored at the 9:19 mark. With 5:57 left in the quarter, Viewmont scored on a man-up opportunity when Jeff Bednar found Kyle Higgins. A minute later, Viewmont found the back of the net again when Drew Barnes found Bednar in front of the crease for the goal.
Jordan tied it back up with just under 2 minutes left in the quarter when Mitch Head found Chandler Jeppson, who caught the ball up high and wrapped it around the goalie.  However, Viewmont would take the lead going into the second quarter after Barnes found Connor Clay.
All momentum that Viewmont built was lost when an illegal stick gave Jordan a man up situation in which they capitalized on when Finlay Morrison found Jace Babka to tie it up 3-3.  After killing off the rest of the stick penalty, Viewmont found themselves back a man down which led Jordan to retake the lead when Jeppson found Babka for the goal with 6:58 left in the half.  The rest of the half was controlled by Jordan but they were unable to find the goal thanks to Viewmont’s defense, led by long pole Kyle Fujikawa causing errant shots and turnovers to keep the score at halftime 4-3 in the favor of Jordan.
Out of halftime both teams exchanged lengthy possessions with neither team able to capitalize until Jordan got a man-up goal when Anderson ripped a high outside shot with about 4 minutes left in the quarter. That goal set off a small furry to end the quarter when a minute later Viewmont would find the goal first time in the half when Higgins found Matt Dyches for a man up goal.  Jordan answered quickly before the end of the quarter twice more to end the quarter 7-4.
The fourth quarter was all Viewmont whose defense held Jordan scoreless to help fuel the comeback. Viewmont’s first goal of the fourth quarter came when Barnes found Matt Cena who shot a stinger to the top of the goal at the 10:26 mark. After a targeting penalty on Jordan, Viewmont was able to capitalize again on the man up when Bednar found Cena again for the goal to bring the game within one with seven minutes left in the game. Jordan would try to extend the lead; however, Viewmont wouldn’t allow the game to slip away . Viewmont capped of their 3 unanswered goals to end the game when Higgins caught a pass from Barnes while streaking through the Beetdiggers defense and slinging a hard bounce shot that found the back of the net with just 55 seconds left in regulation.
In overtime, Jordan won the faceoff and promptly called a timeout. Coming out of the time out the man of the game, Jordan’s Brad Anderson, dodged to the center of the field and found the back of the net to give the Beetdiggers the tough win.
Viewmont was helped all game with their faceoff play which was led by Josh Peek who won 11 out of 17.
Jordan Head Coach Brett Bird was pleased of the grit his team.
“Wasn’t our greatest performance, we made a lot of mistakes, and Viewmont was great at capitalizing on those,” said Bird.”When it came down to crunch time we really stepped up, but its games like these that will make us better.”
Jordan will now look to capitalize on this when the travel to Herriman on Thursday.  Viewmont will be looking to rebound playing at Olympus on Friday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts