The Stories That Matter Most To The Utah Lacrosse Community

Brighton Overcomes Bingham in Shooting Battle

bingham-brighton-02The annual Bingham versus Brighton grudge match was played in Bingham High School’s stadium in honor of Special Needs Awareness on Monday. It was a shooting extravaganza with 39 total goals in the game, and hard fought with many controversial penalties. Brighton prevailed, but Bingham made a good showing.
The Bengals obtained the opening faceoff, but Bingham quickly forced a turnover. Bingham took the ball downfield, but Brighton’s fierce defense took the ball away and cleared. The Bengals’ Colby Ebert scored easily. Both teams fought hard for the next face and Brighton prevailed. Hunter Albert worked the ball around and passed to Miles Paulson for his first goal. The Bengals’ Kimball Reese dominated the face and attempted to score again, but Miners’ goalie, Zach Meisenbacher saved and then cleared to veteran attackman, Joe Lambert. Lambert took the ball across the arch from right to left, and sniped the Brighton defense for Bingham’s first goal. Miner middie, Skyler Little beat Reese on the next face and gave the ball to Matt Anderson, who surprised Brighton’s D scoring upper left, just off pipe. Brighton won the next face, but their shot was saved by Meisenbacher who cleared to Lambert. A shot from Jordan Brough was brought down by Bengal goalie, Mitchell World, but Brock McKinney scooped the rebound into the goal. After a Bingham face off win, Brighton committed a foul, but the Miners failed to convert as World secured a brilliant save. The Bengals executed a perfect clear creating a fast break, and Hunter Albert scored. The Bengal’s Bryson Taylor and Miner’s Blake McMullin continued to battle for face-offs and both goalies traded saves. Bingham regained possession, and Kasen Eggers assisted Brough for his first goal, high to low. On the ensuing faceoff a Bingham turnover allowed Bobby Paulson to dodge first right and then left scoring unassisted. Brighton took the next face, and Bingham recovered. The Miners shots were turned away, and then Brighton passed the ball around, adding to their total with a goal from Dylan Pearmain. Bingham did not give up, securing the next face, passed it around and Brough assisted Lambert. It was all even at 5-5, but Brighton closed out the quarter with two quick goals; one from Bobby Paulson unassisted, and another from Tennison Schmidt assisted by Albert. The score at the end of one quarter was 7 to 5.
bingham-brightonBrighton started the second with another faceoff win. Reese passed to Miles Paulson who scored low. Bobby Paulson then barreled his way through three Miner defenders slipping the ball round Meisenbacher on the right. Bingham gained an advantage by another Brighton penalty, and the man-up play was successful with a screaming, net-burner by Lambert high to high assisted by Brough. Brighton won the next face and Albert’s shot was denied, but Kaden Garden grabbed the rebound and scored. The Miners came out victorious on the next face, but Lambert’s shot was turned away. Brighton sprinted, but Anderson trail checked to take the ball back. The Bengals received another penalty. A shot by McKinney was saved, but the Brighton clear was stolen by Jake Wagstaff. Bingham’s shot was errant, but Bentley picked up the rebound and put the ball in. Tempers flared for the Bengals resulting in another penalty, but Bingham failed to convert on the EMO. Brighton loves to score when they’re man down, and managed two goals during the long, non-releasable penalty, both from Schmidt, one assisted by Scott Bunker. Bingham committed a foul, and Brighton took advantage with a goal from Albert. The Miners reeled in the next faceoff, and Lambert assisted Bentley for a goal during the defensive chaos on a blown play. The final faceoff of the quarter was hotly contested ending in Brighton’s favor, and Albert scored to end the half. Brighton extended its lead to 14 to 9 at half time.
Brighton came out in the third with shooting on their minds quickly reeling off five unanswered goals, one from Forest Engle, another from Pearmain on a double dodge, Garden off a rebound, Miles Paulson with an assist from Engle, and Miles Paulson unassisted. Bingham was in a deep hole, but fought on. Bentley took the ball around X, dodged and scored from right to left. Bingham won the next face, but turned it over with unrelenting pressure from Bengal defenders, Aaron Nakamura and Nathan Kenney. A ground ball battle ensued; Brighton’s Bryson Taylor grabbed the rock and scored. The Miners gained possession, took lots of shots and were many times denied. Bingham’s Kaden Quinn stole a Brighton clear and passed to Matt Anderson who burned the Bengal defense and scored unassisted. Brighton committed another foul, and unsportsmanlike behavior increased the penalty. The defiant Bengal defense dug in their heels once again rejecting Bingham’s attempts, and creating a fast break that allowed Miles Paulson to score while man down. Bingham turned it over again, and Garden assisted Pearmain. Near the end of the quarter Brighton received another penalty, which gave the Miners a rare man-up goal when Brough scored assisted by Bentley. The Bengals ended the quarter with a commanding lead 22 to 12.
The Bengals hunkered down in the fourth with continued tough defense and their offense continued to pound goal, but Bingham’s back-up goalie, Connor Fairholm had several impressive saves. The Miners continued shooting and were rewarded when Lambert scored right to left center. Both teams traded turnovers, but Brighton broke the stalemate with a goal from Kimball Reese. World saved a shot by Bingham’s Josh Degn, and Fairholm countered with two saves of his own. Bingham committed a foul allowing Schmidt to notch goal number three on man-up. Wild defensive play caused both Brighton and Bingham to take a knee, and for a time it was five on five. When Bingham gained the man-up advantage, Degn assisted McKinney for his third goal of the game. Fairholm stopped a Bengal shot, cleared to Bingham’s midfield, and Anderson scored top shelf for his own hat trick. The final score was 24-15.
This game was a defensive free-for-all with more than 20 penalties assessed to the Bengals and nearly 30 penalties total. When asked about the game Brighton head coach Brandon Horoba said he could not complain about scoring 24 goals, but expressed concern about the number of penalties assessed to his players, and said there were still things they needed to work on and cleanup.
Bingham head coach Marshall Kay stated, “This game was all about special needs awareness and our relationship with the community. It was our first game back from a long, spring break trip, but we were ready for it and responded well to the level of play. [Brighton has] great stick skills and they benefited from that, but I’m pleased with our effort.”
Brighton remains undefeated and next meets Skyline at home on April 17th. Bingham will face Viewmont on the road Wednesday, April 15th.

  1. This was a fun game to watch. 37 shots on goal from Brighton. Bingham scores more than twice as much as any other Utah team.

    1. Sounds like an exciting game! Fans love to see lots of goals.
      I was interested in your statement about Bingham scoring more than twice as much as any other Utah team. Bingham averages 11.21 goals per game. Here are the rest of the top teams in the state:
      Park City- 13.46
      Olympus- 13
      Corner Canyon- 12.46
      Skyline- 12
      Juan Diego- 11.16
      Judge Memorial- 10.25

      1. I should have been more clear. My statement should have read “Bingham has scored more than twice as much as any other Utah team has against Brighton this year”.

Related Posts