The Stories That Matter Most To The Utah Lacrosse Community

Cavemen Outmuscle Tigers

Orem - American Fork LacrosseNo. 7 American Fork came out on top of their match-up with Orem on Wednesday in a very physical game that was riddled with penalties. On a night that looked like it would be ideal for lacrosse, things got cold pretty quickly, both in the air and on the field.
The Cavemen and Tigers traded goals early in the first and American Fork scored again when an overly-physical Cavemen defense received three penalties, giving Orem a three-men-up situation. The Tigers’ sticks were not on, however, and they quickly threw the ball away, squandering a golden opportunity. The rest of the quarter was filled with sloppy play from both teams, with the ball spending more time on the ground than in pockets.
Orem junior midfielder Erick Chavez got the ball rolling in the second quarter when he snagged the rebound off a missed shot and buried it in the back of the net. American Fork would respond, however,with Caveman middie Jace Miller dodging through hard contact from three different defenders and putting a hard shot by the Orem keeper and giving AF a 3-2 edge. The Cavemen weren’t done there;five more AF players would string together goals, including a man-up tally and a face-off fast-break, to complete a six goal run that inflated their advantage, 9-2. The Tigers then showed their claws, ripping three straight goals of their own, including a man-up goal off a Caveman penalty, closing the gap to just four goals at the half, 9-5.
The third quarter picked up right where the second left off and the physical play continued, resulting in a penalty on Orem. American Fork would capitalize, scoring the man-up goal. The Tigers responded by riding hard after a missed shot and Orem attackman Chase Hansen scored in a one-on-one situation with the AF keeper. After another penalty and some more physical play, AF midfielder Jace Miller scooped up a ground ball in the defensive end and took it coast-to-coast for a goal, shrugging off contact from several defenders along the way. The two teams would then trade goals again, pushing the score to 12-7 AF. Things then got chippy between the two teams, with a lot of extra contact on both sides and a resulting illegal body check on American Fork, giving Orem another multiple-man-up situation. The Tigers, however, were again unable to take advantage of the situation, and the quarter ended without any more scoring.
Orem, still man-up to start the fourth quarter, was able to find the back of the net when attackman Anthony Rocha caught and finished on the crease. The AF defense was penalized again on the next possession and the Tigers scored again, sneaking back into the game and cutting the lead to three, 12-9. However, a penalty on Orem’s goalie would give American Fork a golden opportunity and attackman Brandon Rootsaert capitalized with the goal. Orem responded with two quick goals of their own,making it a two-goal game, 11-13. But that’s as close as it would get. Caveman midfielder Luke Lytle would get a goal late, answered by Orem’s Ian Hyde with a man-up goal, and capped off by the final AF response of Chase Cuillard netting a goal with just seconds to go and sealing the three-goal victory, 15-12.
No. 7 American Fork (1-0, 1-0) will play at home against Box Elder on Saturday, while Orem (1-3, 0-1) will take on Idaho Falls on Friday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts