This week’s College Roundup features the Utah women’s college programs having earned great success so far this season, as the men’s college programs in the state struggled on the road last weekend. Read on for your latest on college lacrosse in Utah.
After stellar results last weekend in Santa Barbara, BYU, Utah, and Utah State are ranked in the latest Women’s Collegiate Lacrosse Associates (WCLA) poll.
The Aggies are ranked No. 1 in the D-II poll after being ranked No. 8 in the preseason poll. The Aggies beat Denver, San Jose State, and Air Force last weekend.
In Division I, BYU takes the No. 4 spot, dropping two spots, despite beating Texas, Virginia Tech, and Colorado. Utah, in its second year at the D-I level, entered the polls for the first time at the No. 12 spot after beating Western Washington, Duke, Grand Canyon and UC Davis.
Last weekend was rough for Utah teams on the road.
Utah (1-2) fell to Hofstra, 14-10. Josh Stout had 5 goals for the Utes.
BYU (1-2) fell seven spots (to No. 10) in the latest Men’s Collegiate Lacrosse Association (MCLA) poll after losing to then ranked No. 11 Concordia-Irvine (16-13) and No. 17 UC Santa Barbara (13-10).
Utah Valley traveled to Logan and beat the Aggies, 15-7. Preston Burbidge paced the Wolverines with 2 goals and 4 assists. Justin Haws and Spencer Tunick each had 3 goals.
The Ute Women’s Lacrosse team will take on UVU at 11:00am on Saturday. The game will be at the UVU Intramural Sports Facility.
The Utah Men’s team is on the road again to take on No. 8/13 Denver on Saturday and Air Force on Sunday. Read the preview here.
Utah State is facing Fort Lewis and Wyoming on Friday and Saturday in Moab, Utah.
- Bubba Fairman and the Maryland Terrapins took down Penn on Saturday, 13-12 in OT. Fairman notched 2 goals and 1 assist. On Tuesday, Fairman had 1 goal and 1 assist en route to an 11-6 win over Colgate. The Terps take on Navy this Saturday.
- The crew at Rutgers, Casey Rose, Zack Franckowiak, Garrett Bullett, and Garrett Michaeli fell to Army last Saturday, 10-9. Rose had a goal while Michaeli had 5 GBs. The Scarlet Knights host No. 1 Loyola on Saturday.
- Beau Pederson and the Princeton Tigers took down Monmouth last Saturday. Pederson had 2 goals in the 23-7 win. The Tigers host Virginia on Saturday.
- Jack Mintz and Thomas Stockham and the Vermont Catamounts beat Holy Cross on Saturday, 9-7. Neither player featured in the game. Vermont hosts Quinnipiac on Saturday.
- Hannah Hyatt and the Boston College Eagles beat Syracuse, 14-12, on Saturday and UMASS, 25-14, on Thursday. Hyatt forced a turnover in each game. The Eagles will host Harvard on Saturday and Dartmouth on Tuesday.
- At Fresno State, Marina Mayo and Tiffany Wallace lost to the Stanford Cardinal on Thursday, 17-7. Mayo had a goal and two draw controls. The team will travel from coast-to-coast next weekend, March 1, for a showdown against Jacksonville and Stetson on March 3.
Now that Laxpower is gone, it’s hard for my old brain to remember who is playing where. Drop me a line for the players I’ve missed – firstname.lastname@example.org