The Stories That Matter Most To The Utah Lacrosse Community

Copper Hills Advances to Quarterfinals with Win Over Fremont

Copper Hills LogoPlayoffs are underway and in spite of the rainy weather, the Grizzlies of Copper Hills brought a fight against the Fremont Silverwolves on Wednesday. Both teams had their ups and downs, but in the end it was the Grizzlies that will move on to the next round of playoffs. The Grizzlies defeated the Silverwolves 14-9.
The game began in the middle of a decent rain storm. One would expect the cold and the wet to slow down the game and inhibit passing. However, neither team showed signs of slowing from the weather. In the first minute of play Copper Hills midfielder Keaton Stephens had already scored the team’s first point. The goal came off an assist by attackman Daxton Sloan while man-up. Within seconds of the following faceoff, Copper Hills had scored again.
Without much hesitation, Fremont answered back with their first goal. Again, Copper Hills took control and quickly scored their third goal. By the time the quarter was over, Copper Hills was up 4 to 2 over Fremont.
Early in the second quarter Copper Hills attackman Tanner Skadburg scored running around the edge of the crease. Fremont was able to convert in a man-down situation. The penalty had been non-releasable, and Copper Hills took advantage and was also able to get a goal with an extra man. Following this goal, Fremont really began to settle into their offense. Midfielder Caden Halliday took advantage of Copper Hills’ goalie being screened by confusion in the middle and scored high.
The Silverwolves continued their streak and ended up bringing the game back to a tie at six points each with a few minutes left in the half. Copper Hills was not phased. They quickly scored three more, including two more by Skadburg, one of which was a one-on-one opportunity with Fremont’s goalie in which he toyed with the goalie with fakes until finally pocketing the ball in the goal. Fremont finished the quarter with another point during a two-man-up situation.
One of the Copper Hills penalties during the end of the first half was a mouthpiece violation by Copper Hills goalie Brady Perry. As the third quarter began, Fremont took advantage of this non-releasable penalty that had carried over when attackman Michael Goldsberry scored one-on-one with Copper Hill’s backup, assisted by attackman Brock Carter.
The play in the third quarter proved to be fairly even throughout. Both teams had scored twice by the end. In the last seconds of the quarter Fremont advanced the ball down the field on a near perfect clear. As the buzzer sounded the Silverwolves took a shot right into the back of the net. The shot had taken place just a fraction of a second after the buzzer and did not count.
With the game still close in the final quarter Copper Hills stepped up their game just a notch more, which proved to do the trick. Skadburg scored his final two goals, out of his seven for the game. His final shot bounced off the side post and in after blowing several defenders. In the final seconds of the game, after killing some time, Copper Hills hammered the final nail in the coffin with a goal in the last seconds of the game.
There were several keys to this victory for Copper Hills. Clearly the seven goals scored by Tanner Skadburg lifted the team. However, Skadburg was only a piece of an intense offense that was clearly hungry with every shot they took. Also, on the other end of the field, Grizzly defense was playing a very close and aggressive game, deflating many plays that would have surely added scoring opportunities for the Silverwolves.
On May 10, Copper Hills will continue on in their quest for a championship when they face the Bonneville Lakers. Bonneville has an overall record of 12-4, including a win in the first round against Woods Cross, winning 19-10. The Lakers only had one conference loss, against Syracuse who had no losses against conference teams. Bonneville averages almost 13 points per game while allowing just 9.

Related Posts