The Stories That Matter Most To The Utah Lacrosse Community

Darts Beat Timberwolves in Double Overtime

Davis v. TimpanogosUnder a sunny sky in near-perfect lacrosse weather, Davis and Timpanogos went head to head on Thursday afternoon in Orem. The matchup of Div-I contenders did not disappoint with a double-overtime game that included lots of offense and plenty of physical play. When it was all said and done, the Darts would emerge victorious, 14-13, on a Zachary Jarvis scoop-n-score as the ball was rolling free near the cage after a Davis clear. The win came as a much-needed boost to the Darts, who were coming off a poor performance in their previous game and had dropped a one-goal decision to Lone Peak the week before.
“It feels much better to come out on the winning end,” said Davis Head Coach Trevor Yocom, “it feels good to bounce back after, what I think was, our worst game of the season [against Olympus]. We made mistakes that [Timpanogos] took advantage of, they’re a great team.”
Both offenses showed that they came to play as scoring happened early and often. Timpanogos kicked things off with a quick goal early, but a foul on the T-wolf D gave the Darts a chance to respond, scoring on the man-up and knotting the score at 1-1. Although the offenses were firing on all cylinders, the defenses started a little slower, and another Timpanogos penalty gave Davis their second extra man opportunity, and they scored again. The Timp offense, not to be outdone, matched the Darts when senior attackman Jacob Hougaard dodged hard down the alley and found the back of the net, tying things at 2-2. Before the ensuing faceoff, Davis received a non-releasable penalty for using an illegal crosse and T-wolf senior middie Audie Ventura would capitalize with a rocket bounce shot from the top corner of the box that pinged the pipe and hit home. Timpanogos took the next faceoff still in a man-up situation and easily got possession. They sent a barrage of shots on cage, but Davis senior keeper Jacob Jones turned them all away in an effort that included several highlight-worthy saves. After a Timpanogos stick penalty during a timeout, T-wolf junior goalie Ryan Wilkey made some great saves of his own. Some sloppy and physical play slowed the action a bit, but Davis grabbed some momentum at the end of quarter by scoring two quick goals on unsettled situations, the last coming only three second before the horn, giving the Darts a 4-3 edge.
Davis picked up where they left off to start the second quarter, with Dart senior attackmen Tanner Hallows executing a textbook pick-and-slip and finishing on the doorstep despite being hurt on the play. Both defenses then stepped up their level of play and as a result the ball spent a lot more time on the ground than it did in players’ crosses. After some failed clears and failed scoring attempts on both ends, Dart attackmen Zachary Jarvis capped a hat trick off a loose ground ball and Davis looked like they might
start to roll, up 6-3. The teams then traded goals twice to end the half, Davis leading 8-5.
The Timberwolves composed themselves during halftime and came out hot in the third quarter. Attackmen Jonathan Rees snagged a quick goal early off a T-wolf clear to grab the momentum for Timpanogos. By the end of the quarter, six different players would score for the T-wolves, including two man-up goals, and a spectacular drive by senior midfielder Jeremy Rees who caught a clearing pass and midfield and drove through contact all the way to the goal. The Darts would tally two of their own in
the quarter, both from scoop-n-score groundballs on the crease, but Timpanogos had turned the tide by the end of the third, leading 11-10.
The fourth quarter saw a lot of physical play from both teams and some solid doorstep saves from both keepers. Penalties, however, proved to be costly to the T-wolves and they handed the momentum back to Davis who quickly ran off three goals, scored by Mitch Wilkes, Spencer Pepper-Eames, and Dillon Yocom, grabbing a late 13-11 lead. But Timpanogos wasn’t about to roll over, and while Davis tried to keep possession to run out the clock, the physical T-wolf D came up with some big takeaways leading to a Timpanogos goal by Jonathan Rees and the equalizer by Jeremy Rees, evening the score at thirteen all.
In the first overtime, an early Davis penalty looked like it would mean the end of the game, but the Dart man-down unit played strong and knocked down a pass in the middle to get possession. On the opposite end, a Dart attackman caught a pass unguarded on the crease and looked to send the T-wolves packing, but Timpanogos Goalie Ryan Wilkey stonewalled him on the doorstep and the first overtime ended with some great looks at the cage, but no scores.
In the second overtime, there was more big physical play from both defenses, causing a lot of turnovers and back-and-forth play. With both teams exhausted, ground balls became a lot more common. On a Davis clear, a failed pass led to a ground ball near the T-wolf cage. Two Timpanogos defenders converged on the ball, but overran it, leaving Davis attackman Jarvis time and room to scoop the ball and beat the goalie one-on-one for the game winner, 14-13.
“I’ve got to give credit to the D in general,” said Yocom of the finish, “we’ve lost a couple starters due to injury and been really thin on D. [Senior attack] Dillon [Yocom] really runs the offense, and it’s good to come out with a win. I’m really proud of how our guys dug deep. Timpanogos is a great team with great players and deserves a lot of respect.”
The Darts will have some time off to breakdown what they did right and will take on Pleasant Grove on April 10. The Timberwolves will have the same amount of rest time before they match-up against Brighton on April 10.

Related Posts