The Stories That Matter Most To The Utah Lacrosse Community

East Tops Lehi with Late Comeback

East LogoAfter a tough loss to Herriman last week, Lehi headed to Sunnyside Park on Wednesday to try and get back on the winning track against East. East was looking for another win in their first home game of the season.
The first quarter started with both teams trading shots with goalies Caleb Wiedmeier (Lehi) and Kortland Johnson (East) keeping their teams in the game by trading great saves on both sides of the field. At the 7 minute mark, Braken Burr found Ian Hullinger slashing through the middle of the East’s defense for the goal.  Just before the end of the quarter Lehi forced a failed clear, and Hullinger found the back of the net again with under a minute left in the quarter.
The second quarter started with Lehi controlling the play, and at the 10:28 mark, Hullinger dodged and then quickly re-dodged to get past his defender and find the back of the net for the hat trick.  East would answer with their first goal of the game a couple of minutes later getting past Lehi’s zone defense when Jager Chynoweth grabbed a loose ball and found the back of the net.  Then at the 3:53 mark, Jacob Parkin found Andrew Smart when he popped out of the middle for the catch and goal. Twenty seconds later, Sam Parkin would grab a ground ball outside the box and drive it past the Lehi defense to tie up the game. Then just seconds before halftime Lehi took a set play when the shot rang off the post and bounce back out for Steven Schoebinger to grab the rebound and find the back of the net before Johnson could get reset to give Lehi the 4-3 lead at half time.
Both teams came out of halftime with great adjustments with both teams taking long possessions until Hullinger was able to score again off a rocker dodge on his defender at the 4:15 mark for his fourth goal of the afternoon. A minute later, Burr ripped an outside shot past Johnson to extend the Lehi lead 6-3. Just before the end of the quarter, East answered back with their first goal of the half when Chynoweth dodged from the midfielder hard and rolled back to get his hands free for a great shot and goal to pull the game closer and end the quarter with Lehi leading 6-4.
The fourth quarter started strong for Lehi when at the end of a long possession the ball was checked from Hullinger dodging on the goal, the ball went backside to Parker Ika, who made the goal to extend Lehi’s lead 7-4.  After that goal, East called a time out where Senior Captain Chynoweth rallied his troops. East would answer with tremendous defense that helped fuel an exciting comeback, which was started when Chynoweth found Sam Parkin for a goal with 3:12 left in the game. Then less than a minute later, Michael Anderson caused a turnover on a tough ride and took the ball straight past the defense to bring East within one goal. With only 53 seconds left in the game East’s Smart tied it up. Lehi tried to control the ball to finish the game but couldn’t hold on to it. The ball rolled past midfield to Chynoweth who drove the field and scored the winning goal with 7 seconds left in the game.
East Head Coach Ryan Cantwell said, “It was three and half of the hardest quarters I have seen them play followed by seven minutes of great ball.” He added, “At that timeout, Chynoweth called everyone including himself out and the team really responded by making great stops and finding the back of the net.”
East will have to wait until next Wednesday to build on this gutty win when they play Timpview while Lehi will look to rebound quickly when they face Sky View on Saturday.

1 comment
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts