Welcome to the new Girls High School Power Rankings! Utah’s former Girls High School Commissioner, Andrew Davies, will rank the teams from 1-to-33 each week through the 2019 season. Davies will be providing an unbiased look at where each of the teams rank each week. Where is your team ranked? Should they be ranked higher? Let us know why in the comments!
Also, catch last week’s Power Rankings here for comparison.
- Park City (1-0) – Park City did not play an in-state team last week. Their only game was canceled due to weather. Park City did travel to Southern California last weekend to play three competitive out of state teams. Park City went 1-2 on their trip with each game being decided by one goal. Park City will play Corner Canyon on Monday before their huge showdown at Herriman on Thursday in a rematch of last year’s state championship game.
- Herriman (4-0) – In what looked like would be a challenging week, Herriman blew by their completion. The Mustangs played Corner Canyon and Viewmont on the road, beating both teams convincingly by the scores of 19-2 and 20-1 respectively. Herriman is firing on all cylinders just in time for their big game vs Park City on Thursday.
- American Fork (3-0) – American Fork is feeling good about themselves as they avenged their 2018 loss to their rivals Lone Peak by defeating them by a score of 16-7. The final score could have been much closer as Lone Peak only took 3 fewer shots, but Goalie play proved to be the difference. American Forks Goalie Sierra Savage had a save percentage of 61% in the game. The Lady Caveman will try to remain undefeated as they travel to Wasatch and Weber this week.
- Riverton (1-0) – Riverton did not play last week as their game vs Alta was snowed out. Despite not playing, they moved up two spots due to Lone Peak and Viewmont both lost this week. Riverton will host Mountain Crest on Friday as they try to keep their high-powered offense on the right track.
- Lone Peak (1-1) – The Knights shot only 33% and only secured 10 ground balls in their 16-7 loss to American Fork. All is not lost for Lone Peak as they look to right the ship as they play two more Utah County opponents this week, Timpview on Monday and Timpanogos on Wednesday.
- Viewmont (1-1) – Viewmont drops to 6th in this week’s power rankings as they were not able to compete with Herriman in their 20-1 loss. Viewmont has plenty of talent, but key injuries may take a toll. Viewmont will try to put this loss behind them as they take on Weber on Thursday.
- Olympus (2-0) – The Titans are riding high as they not only beat Roy 16-5, but they also went undefeated in the Gathering of the Tribes tournament beating Alta in the final. Olympus will be challenged this week as they take on Waterford on Tuesday.
- Juan Diego (1-1) – Juan Diego did not have a game last week. They will face a hungry Corner Canyon team on Wednesday.
- Corner Canyon (1-2) – Corner Canyon lost to Herriman by a score of 19-2. The Chargers may have had the toughest schedule of any team so far this season, and it isn’t getting easier. Corner Canyon will host Park City on Monday followed by a game at Juan Diego on Wednesday. A great showing this week can prove their top 10 ranking. If they falter, they will be in a big hole in the standings.
- Bingham (0-1) – Bingham did not play last week as their game vs Weber was snowed out. They will be matched up against Jordan on Wednesday in what should be a close game.
- Alta (1-1) – Did not play in a league game last week but did play well in the gathering of the tribe’s tournament finishing second to Olympus.
- Jordan (1-1) – Did not play last week. Next game vs Bingham on Wednesday.
- Lehi (1-1) – Beat West Jordan 13-4. Will take on Pleasant Grove on Tuesday and Ridgeline on Friday.
- Waterford (0-0) – Will finally start their season as they play Olympus on Tuesday and Alta on Thursday.
- Skyline (1-0) – Game vs Park City was snowed out last week. Big matchup vs Brighton on Wednesday
- Timpview (2-0) – Great start to the season so far for the Thunderbirds. Defeated Weber 10-5.
- Brighton (2-1) – Undefeated week for the Bengals as they defeated Copper Hills 16-7 and Fremont 16-6.
- West Jordan (1-2) – Lost to Lehi 13-4. Travels to Wasatch and hosts Timpview this week.
- Pleasant Grove (1-1) – Defeated Mountain Crest 16-3, then had a huge one-point victory over Davis on Friday.
- Davis (1-2) – The Darts beat Woods Cross 13-1 on Monday then suffered a close loss to Pleasant Grove 10-9.
- Weber (0-1) – Lost to Timpview 10-5. The Warriors will play American Fork and Viewmont this week.
- Copper Hills (1-2) – Lost to Bingham 16-7 then defeated Woods Cross 10-4
- Timpanogos (3-0) – Defeated Wasatch 8-3 and Box Elder 13-5. At 3 wins and 0 losses, are they the best kept secret in the state, or is their record indicative of their soft schedule to open the season?
- Woods Cross (0-1) – Lost to Davis 13-1 and Copper Hills 10-4. The wildcats will look for their first win of the season on Wednesday vs Roy.
- West (2-1) – The surprising Panthers are off to their best start in years. They defeated Roy 10-5 and Ridgeline 15-4.
- Fremont (2-1) – Defeated Mountain Crest 11-10 then fell to Brighton 16-6 for their first loss of the season.
- Roy (0-4) – Rough start to the season for the Royals as they lost to West 10-5 and Olympus 16-5.
- Wasatch (0-2) – Lost to Timpanogos 8-3. Will host West Jordan and American Fork this week.
- Judge Memorial (0-1) – Did not play last week. Will host West on Monday before traveling to play Davis on Friday.
- Mountain Crest (0-2) – Lost a close one to Fremont 11-10 before falling to Pleasant Grove 16-3.
- Box Elder (0-1) – Lost to Timpanogos 13-5. Will host Fremont and West this week.
- Sky View (0-0) – Looking forward to playing their first game this week at Copper Hills on Wednesday.
- Ridgeline (0-2) – Lost to West 15-4. Will play Lehi on Friday.
Girls High School Power Rankings: Stat of the Week –Timpview’s Ellie Pope won 12 out of 16 draws for a 75% draw percentage. Coaches preach that winning the draw is often the key to winning the game, Ellie Pope proved that to be true as her Thunderbirds defeated Weber 10-5.
Girls High School Power Rankings: Team of the Week – Olympus Titans. The Titans had a great week winning their only league game, a 16-5 victory over Roy. Olympus also went undefeated with a 5-0 record at this weekend’s Gathering of the Tribes tournament. The Titans three headed monster of Roxie Crandall, Tatum Meier, and Alissa Johnson will be hard to stop. With excellent coaching by Hanna Thatcher and Katie Spencer, the Titans are off to a great year so far.