Welcome to the new Girls High School Power Rankings! Utah’s former Girls High School Commissioner, Andrew Davies, will rank the teams from 1-to-33 each week through the 2019 season. Davies will be providing an unbiased look at where each of the teams rank each week. Where is your team ranked? Should they be ranked higher? Let us know why in the comments!
Girls Power Rankings: Week 1
- Park City (1-0) – After winning their fifth state championship in a row, the Miners started off this season right where they left off. Park City dominated Brighton in their opening game of the season by a score of 14-0. Park City was clicking on all cylinders as they dominated possession and did not allow Brighton to take a shot in the game. Park City will play two games in California before coming back to play Skyline on March 13th. Park City makes sense as the No. 1 pick in our Power Rankings to start the season.
- Herriman (2-0) – After coming up just short in the championship game the past two years, the Mustangs are more determined than ever. They started out the 2019 campaign with a convincing win against Alta. Herriman is deeper and more balanced than ever, but they will be tested this week as they have to play on the road against two top 10 teams; Monday at Corner Canyon and Wednesday at Viewmont.
- American Fork (2-0) – The Lady Caveman started off on the right foot with a win over Juan Diego and Copper Hills this week. They are led by Portia Card who has scored 14 goals in the first two games. American Fork will play a huge game this Wednesday as they host their rivals, Lone Peak. Lone Peak won by just one goal last year, look for the Lady Cavemen to seek revenge.
- Lone Peak (1-0) – Lone Peak didn’t have any problem with Wasatch this week as they got their first win by the score of 19-2. The Knights were balanced as 10 different players scored at least one goal. Lone Peak will play their rivals American Fork this Wednesday as they look for a statement win early in the season.
- Viewmont (1-0) – Viewmont cruised to an easy victory against West last week. They were led by Kenadee Hatch who had 3 goals and 5 assists, and Danni Westerman with 6 goals and 2 assists. The Lady Vikings face a huge challenge as they host Herriman on Wednesday.
- Riverton (1-0) – The Silverwolves had no problem getting their offense in gear this early in the season. They scored 20 goals in their first game vs Woods Cross. Riverton will hope to keep their offense rolling as they host Alta on Wednesday.
- Olympus (1-0) – The Titans secured a quality win last week as they defeated Corner Canyon by a score of 12-10. Roxanne Crandall led the way for Olympus with 6 goals on 6 shots. Olympus will try to continue their winning ways as they travel to Roy on Thursday.
- Corner Canyon (1-1) – After losing a close game to Olympus, Corner Canyon bounced back with a 12-7 victory against 2018 DII champions, the Jordan Beetdiggers. The Chargers have come out strong on the draw as their team has won 28 of their 45 draws so far this season for a 62% draw percentage. Corner Canyon faces a big challenge on Monday when they play against Herriman.
- Juan Diego (1-1) – After defeating West Jordan on Monday by a score of 13-8, Juan Diego fell just short of Herriman on Wednesday losing 13-7. The Soaring Eagles have next week off and will not play again until March 20th when they face Corner Canyon.
- Weber (0-0) – The Lady Warriors finished a strong 2018 campaign with a 11-1 regular season record. Weber did lose some strong players to graduation last season, but they hope to show the league that they are still a top 10 team. The Lady Warriors have not yet played a game this year. Their first game will be on Tuesday at Timpview then they will face a tough Bingham team on Thursday.
- Bingham (0-1) – Coming off a tough loss to American Fork 14-6
- Jordan (1-1) – Defeated Pleasant Grove but lost to Corner Canyon by 5.
- West Jordan (1-1) – Hung tough with Juan Diego only losing by 5 goals. Defeated Roy 14-8.
- Waterford (0-0) – On Spring Break. Will not play a game until March 19th.
- Skyline (1-0) – Defeated Davis by 2 goals, 10-8.
- Timpview (1-0) – Beat Judge Memorial 14-5.
- Alta (1-1) – After losing to Herriman, beat Lehi 7-6.
- Copper Hills (0-1) – Lost to American Fork 19-2
- Brighton (0-1) – Was not able to hang with Park City, lost 14-0
- Davis (0-1) – Lost to Skyline 10-8
- Pleasant Grove (0-1) – Lost to Jordan 8-4.
- Lehi (0-1) – lost a nail-biter to Alta 7-6
- Timpanogos (1-0) – Squeaked past Roy 10-9
- Woods Cross (0-1) – Lost to Riverton 20-1
- Fremont (1-0) – First win in program history. 14-6 over Ridgeline
- Roy (0-2) – Lost a close one to Timpanogos 10-9 then took a loss to West Jordan 14-8
- West (0-1) – Was defeated by Viewmont 16-2
- Wasatch (0-1) – Lost to Lone Peak 19-2
- Judge Memorial (0-1) – Lost to Timpview 14-5
- Mountain Crest (0-0) – First game will be on Monday March 11th against Fremont.
- Box Elder (0-0) – Will travel to Timpanogos for their first game Friday March 15th.
- Sky View (0-0) – First game will be at Wasatch on Thursday March 14th.
- Ridgeline (0-1) – Lost to Fremont 14-6
Girls High School Stat of the Week
14 different players had at least one goal or one assist for Herriman against Alta on Monday March 4th. That is an unbelievably balanced Mustang team that will be hard to beat. Look for them to be ranked high in our Girls Power Rankings throughout the season.
Girls High School Team of the Week
Fremont Silverwolves. Fremont is a first-year team as they have split off from Roy. They secured their first ever win as they defeated Ridgeline 14-6. Fremont was led by Madalyn DeGarlais who scored 7 goals on 7 shots, and Kylee Hodgson with 4 goals and an assist. Fremont will try to build off of their win as they host Mountain Crest on Monday and Brighton on Thursday.