The Stories That Matter Most To The Utah Lacrosse Community

Harri Martin Snags Game-Winning Goal in OT Over Olympus

Whenever the Skyline Eagles and Olympus Titans meet in any sport, the emotions on the field and the stands run high. On Monday afternoon at Granite High School there was no shortage of emotion as Skyline Attackman Harri Martin scored in overtime to give Skyline a 12-11 win. On top of that, Martin scored the last three goals of the game against his brother, Oli Martin, who played the second half in goal for the Titans.
Skyline was down 11-9 with 4:14 left in the game when Oli made a great save but was unable to get a firm grasp on the rebound. Harri scooped it up and slotted it home which gave Skyline a huge boost. At 2:53, Harri again was on the end of a missed shot and again was able to bury the ball in the back of the net to tie the game at 11 which is how the game would end.
Both teams had looks in overtime. Olympus had 3 clear shots but were unable to put them on cage late in the overtime period. Skyline was able to get a loose ball, clear it to Bert Merrill who found Harri on the crease who scored for the game-winning goal.
“I was really fired up getting that 10th goal,” said Harri. “I was just cleaning up some garbage. In overtime, Bert set me up on the crease for the easy dip and dunk so the credit really goes to him.”
The Martin brothers are not strangers when it comes to playing against each other. Two years ago, Oli was the goalie for Waterford.
“We played each other our Sophomore year,” said Harri. “I got the better of him in the regular season and then he beat me in the semi-finals of the playoffs and I wanted some revenge to be honest.”
Skyline v. Olympus - Ezra Schofield
The Titans came out of the gates firing on all cylinders. Olympus FOS Josh Homer was his normal self, 8 of 9 from X in the first quarter which setup the Titans nicely. Jake Dunn scored the first goal for Olympus who then scored three more; one from Preston Burbidge and two from Gage Fisher. The Titans 4-0 lead left fans thinking the game would be a blowout, but Skyline stuck with it. Merrill scored a goal to make the score 4-1 before Dunn answered. Colton Limpert had an alley dodge goal for Skyline to make the score 5-2 before Walker Murphy answered with his own alley dodge jump shot to make the score 6-2 at the end of the first quarter. Murphy scored again out of the quarter break to give the Titans a 5 goal lead. Once again, Skyline would not go away. Lane Kadish had a killer low to high to make the score 7-3 for Olympus. Andrew Delis regained the Titan lead with 8:58 left in the half, but Skyline held tough on defense and scored two goals (Ezra Schofield and Merrill) to make the score 9-5 at halftime.
Skyline brought the game within one goal at the 6:15 mark in the third quarter but Olympus went on a three-goal run spanning just 43 seconds. The first goal of the run came as time expired in the third quarter when Burbidge unleashed a rocket that found the back of the net. The Titans won the opening face-off of the fourth quarter and immediately scored when Murphy found Dunn for the goal. Just 33 seconds later, Delis found the back of the net to make the score 11-7 for Olympus. That proved to be too much time though for Skyline who didn’t allow Olympus to score the rest of the game. Merrill and Kadish each scored to make the score 11-9. At that point Harri worked his magic and led the Eagles to victory over the Titans.
“I couldn’t be more proud of my guys,” said Skyline head coach Dan Schmidt. “We played great from the second quarter on. I think we were in our own heads a little bit but we held strong. We have some guys sick, some guys injured but for us it was just the next man up.”
Skyline goalie Ian Burbidge had 1 save on 9 shots in the first half, but redeemed himself in the second half with 5 saves on 7 shots in the second half and a key save in overtime. Homer finished with 17 of 24 face-offs.
Skyline (8-1) will take on Viewmont on April 10. Olympus (7-3) face Lone Peak on Wednesday.

Related Posts