The Stories That Matter Most To The Utah Lacrosse Community

Park City Puts Waterford’s Senior Day on Ice

Park City - Waterford
c/o David Welsh

On a very chilly late April afternoon Park City traveled down to face off against Waterford who was honoring their seniors on senior day. After jumping out to a quick lead, Park City relied on their defense to maintain the lead for the 9-3 win.
The game began with both teams trading possessions that ended with either great defensive plays or unforced errors. The Park City Miners got on the board first when after a forced turnover, long pole Noah Pranschke went coast to coast and ripped a shot past Waterford’s goalie. Park city would tack on another when Christian Pompoco found Kolton Atkinson on the back side of the defense for the low to low goal. Park City would end the first quarter with the 4-0 lead after Chase Christensen struck twice in the final minutes of the quarter.

Park City - Waterford
c/o David Welsh
Park City would start the quarter the way it started the game by causing turnovers anytime Waterford would try to gain a possession. Then on a fast break Atkinson took a shot off the cross bar but was right there for the groundball and score to extend the Park City lead 5-0.  Waterford would finally get on the board at the 4:51 mark in the second quarter when James Eardley bull dodged in and placed the ball in the back of the net.  Park City would respond to that goal with a three goal run of their own and finish out the quarter with their great zone ride and defensive pressure that wouldn’t allow Waterford many shot opportunities and take into the half an 8-1 lead.
The third quarter saw a snowstorm come through the game that iced both teams’ scoring as both teams took lengthy possessions with neither team being able to gain an advantage. Waterford would control most of the quarter but couldn’t do anything with that time of possession as they were called for 3 stall warnings.
The fourth quarter would be much of the same with Waterford taking long possessions as they tried to find a way to break through the tough Park City defense.  Waterford would finally score when Luke Pyper took advantage of a little time and room and fired a shot that found the back of the net to inch the game closer at 8-2.  It would only take Park City seven seconds to respond when Jackson Burton won the faceoff and drove it straight in and bounced it in for the goal.  Waterford would score once more when Matt West found the back of the net on a running low to high, but it was too little too late. Park City would end the game with the 9-3 win.
Park City Head Coach Andy Langendorf said, “Defense played very well; we have been working really hard the last while to improve our defense. They are a really great team and well coached. We really struggled I felt to score on the other side of the ball and I didn’t feel the score shows how the game was played.”
Park City will look to build on this win when they go back home to face off against Judge on Wednesday.  Waterford will look to rebound before the playoffs when they travel to play Herriman on Thursday.

Related Posts