The club team scene in Utah is growing stronger each year and this fall, a competitive league will help strengthen the cause, giving club teams a chance to play competitive games without traveling outside of the Salt Lake Valley.
Mason Goodhand, founder of College Prep Lacrosse, announced the ‘Sticks of Steel’ fall league to add a “comp league” structure to the local lacrosse community.
“Competition is the key to the growth of quality play. Step one to raising the bar is to limit the slots available in the league and require players to go through a tryout to make it on a team,” said Goodhand. “Travel clubs already have this mechanism in place, but this league will limit them to 26 roster spots so some of the larger club teams my have to create another mechanism to award their 26 spots.
The league will feature the U-17 and U-15 age groups because they have a few years of high school left.
“Having these two groups will allow us a time to help sharpen their game with competitive action and educate them of ways they can best prepare themselves to make the jump to the highest level of college play possible,” said Goodhand. “In addition to spirited play, we’ll be holding a recruiting seminar in mid November. This event is titled ‘Recruiting 101’ and is free to all league members.”
Each age division will be limited to only six teams statewide, with representation from Cache Valley in the North to Utah County in the South.
Games will be played at Lone Peak Park in Sandy. “The single site gives us a great venue where all players may easily watch the best lacrosse the state can produce,” said Goodhand.
- The league will begin on September 8 with a tryout for any players hoping to land a spot on a team with available roster spots. A free agent team in each age group will be selected at these tryouts. Pre registration for the tryout is required but is free as long as it’s completed by 8:00pm on September 7. Walkup tryouts are also permitted but will cost $10. Walkup players must download and complete the waiver and registration form prior to being issued a practice jersey. Proof of current USL membership also required at check-in.
- Regular season games will be held on September 15, 22, Oct 6, 13 and 20th. Some game times will be adjusted to allow for specific scheduling conflicts of specific teams but the majority of games will be played at the following times each Saturday: 3:30, 5:00 & 6:30 PM. There will be a unique schedule for the playoff tournament and all-star game on November 3.
- The top four teams in each age bracket will compete on Nov 3rd to determine the 2012 Stick of Steel champions.
- All regular season games will be conducted using regulation ‘stop-time’ clock procedures instead of the more common ‘running’ clock games.
- Each team will be required to have between 20 and 26 players on the team.
For more information, visit: www.cplaxshowcase.com