The Stories That Matter Most To The Utah Lacrosse Community

Utes Win Big Against Utah State

Utah Utes Goalie Alex Wantanawekin
Utah Utes Goalie Alex Wantanawekin

The Utah Utes (6-6, 2-2) beat the Utah State Aggies (3-6, 1-2) by the score of 16-3 on Wednesday at Judge Memorial High School in Salt Lake City.
“We just wanted to build on what we thought were better performances on our Colorado trip,” said Utah Head Coach Craig Morris. “I think we’re starting to play better on both sides of the ball. We just wanted to come out and play hard.”
After an equal first half of the first quarter, the Utes executed their game plan, going on a seven goal run. At the 7:36 mark, midfielder Mack Schwoebel found the back of the net when he took the ball down the left side of the field and ripped it into the top left corner of the goal. Forty seconds later, Utah Midfielder Matt Mersereau mirrored Schwoebels goal to give the Utes a two goal lead. Utah Midfielder Dillon Tran got on the score sheet at the 5:45 mark and assisted a goal by attackmen Zach Gosselin two minutes later. On the goal, the Utes were in a slow break when Gosselin cut across the crease, caught the pass from Tran and backhanded it into the goal. Schwoebel scored on the ensuing face-off to take a 5-0 lead. Utah Long Pole Alex Wee put the Utes up by six when he went untouched into the box on a clear, planted his feet and ripped it top shelf. Utah Attackmen Patrick Griffin finished the run at the 1:04 mark on a clinical fast-break goal.

Utah Utes Goalie Alex Wantanawekin
Utah Utes Goalie Alex Wantanawekin
The second quarter was rough for both teams as they struggled to maintain possessions and run their offensive sets. Utah State scored their first goal at 10:05 when midfielder Matthew Tyler found midfielder Keaton Cluff for the goal. Schwoebel scored for the Utes with 33 seconds remaining in the half to make the score 8-1 in favor of the Utes at the break.
Utah State Midfielder Devin Chipman scored at the 10:19 mark when he collected a loose ball in the Aggie defensive end and took it coast-to-coast for the goal. Utah answered with eight goals spanning two quarters. Utah State would score the final goal of the game at the 3:52 mark on a goal by Taylor.
“I think we executed pretty good today,” said Morris. “We were sharp early, had a rough second quarter, but overall we’re coming along. There are some things we need to cleanup but we’re definitely getting better.”
Utah was led by Kunz who had 3 goals and 2 assists. Utah State was led by Taylor who had 1 goal and 1 assist. Utah Goalie Alex Wantanawekin had 5 saves in three quarters and Tyler Best had 3 saves in the fourth quarter for the Utes.
Utah will face BYU on April 28 at Judge Memorial at 7:00pm. Utah State will host UVU on Friday at 5:00pm.

Related Posts