The Stories That Matter Most To The Utah Lacrosse Community

Westminster Women Win Second Straight

westminster womens lacrosse

The Westminster women’s lacrosse team (2-6, 2-2 RMAC) earned its second, a road win, 13-10, over the Fort Lewis Skyhawks (1-4, 1-3 RMAC).

Westminster took 18 shots in each half and out shot the Skyhawks by nine, 36-26, with 26 shots on goal to the home sides 22. The Griffins controlled the game by winning 18-7 draw controls. They only allowed one goal in five free position shots.

It was a dogfight between the Griffins and the Skyhawks with seven ties and four lead changes.

Audree Erekson assisted Katie Hendershott for the opening goal and lead in the first minute of the game. The home side scored twice and took the lead at 2-1.

Westminster tied it up twice with goals by Eden Freiberg then again on a man-up goal by Phebe Walker. The Griffins scored three more for their largest lead of the game, 6-3.

Fort Lewis rallied with three of their own to tie the game, 6-6. Erekson scored with thirteen seconds left to give Westminster the lead at half.

Fort Lewis took the lead at 9-8 after tying the score twice. Within 30 seconds the Griffins tied the game as Erekson scored her second goal. Freiberg gave Westminster the lead six minutes later and assisted Lauren Shoughro on the game winning goal with 9 minutes left.

“We had great transitions and moved the ball well,” Coach Harding said. “We did a great job executing our plays and keeping our positioning on defense.”

Freiberg led the offense with six points on five goals and one assist. Erekson was in strong support with two goals and two assists and Hendershott scored twice and had an assist.

Erekson won nine draw controls, half the team’s tally for the game. 

Mikala Anderson led defense from the cage with seven ground balls and 12 saves, including two free-position shot saves. Daisy Mele came up with five ground balls and three caused turnovers.

Westminster heads to Alamosa, Colo., to take on Adams State on Sunday.

Related Posts